- All issues are archived ... all the way back to 1975. Once current magazines are out of print they become available in the archives, accessible on the DPN website under "Resources".
- I even like reading the ads! It's one way of keeping up with must-have dulcimer products, new cds and books, instructional materials and opportunities, festival flyers, etc.
- Festival listings make it easy to find events in your neck of the woods, to follow your favorite teachers, or to make plans to try something new. Attending festivals and workshops is a great way to find out more about your instrument, to learn new skills and tunes, to enjoy the work of quality instructors / performers, and to meet up with old and new friends.
- Meaty articles for inspiration and education.
- Sheet music for practical application.
- The Sampler CD, included with every issue. Such diversity in the projects out there!
- And the #1 Reason I like reading the DPN ... Connection to the wider dulcimer community (both hammered dulcimer and mountain dulcimer). It's fun to see what my dulcimer buddies are up to!
Speaking of buddies in the Dulcimer Players News ....
One of our own Triangle Trapezoids, Helen Wolfson of Durham, is featured in the "Music and Book Review" section of the current DPN. Look for Helen's write-up of her new solo album, "Silver Lining," on page 46. PLUS, the title cut, "Silver Lining Waltz" is included on the Sampler CD. Congratulations, Helen!
From the western part of the state, our friends Ruth and Steve Smith have had yet another cut selected for the Sampler CD ... "Along This Crooked Road", from their Heirlooms CD. This new recording includes both vocals and instrumental tunes. Well done, Ruth and Steve!
While you're checking out the archives ...
I wrote a couple of articles that were included in past magazines:
"Getting Around on the Hammered Dulcimer", an exercise in shifting octaves.
Please note that the sheet music printed in the magazine is incorrect! The correct music may be found on Sue's website. Look for the link on the home page.
DPN, Summer 2011, volume 37 - #3, page 36
"The Power of One - Using Drones"
DPN, Fall 2011, volume 37 - #4, page 30
Check out the DPN web site. Maybe it's time you subscribed, too!
Already a subscriber? Tell us what you like best about the magazine. What great features have I missed here?