Wednesday, January 6, 2016

New Year's Resolution ... Dump the Slump

OK ... True confession time. I have fallen off the practice wagon. I have never been in such a long-lasting slump! Don't get me wrong ... I have "played" the dulcimer. I have prepared lessons for students. But intentional, serious practice has been missing since late October.

The main reason ... I've had a lot going on!

It happens to the best of us. When life gets extremely busy, something's got to give. I spent three weeks of November traveling on the other side of the world. Of course, the two weeks before departure were spent packing and getting everything in order. The week after was spent recovering from jet lag, catching up at the day job, and getting everything back in order. Then I flew to New Mexico for my sister's wedding. When I returned home, I hit the ground running, preparing for and living the holiday season. Woo hoo! We made merry for a solid two weeks!

I'm sure many players can relate. Disruptions in the routines of life can adversely affect the practice schedule. There's no time. Energy is sapped. Focus is lost. It's really hard to get going again!

But I am determined to do so.

As luck would have it, we are entering a new year. It's the perfect time to find new inspiration and to set new goals. I know what I must do:

  • Set aside time
  • Set goals / deadlines
  • Get back to basics
  • Try something new
  • Be persistent
  • Be accountable
Easy, huh? Ready or not ... 2016 here we come!

"And now we welcome the new year.
  Full of things that have never been!" ~ Rainer Maria Rilke



No comments:

Post a Comment