Thursday, October 31, 2013

Signs that Christmas is coming ...


  • Students are requesting Christmas carols.
  • I've already accepted this year's first holiday gig request.
  • I saw a lit Christmas tree in a private home as I drove through town last night.



In all other areas I resist the cultural push toward the holidays. Being a good Episcopalian I've learned to value the season of Advent. My personal rule? Don't think about Christmas at all until after Thanksgiving.

But when it comes to playing seasonal music for the enjoyment of others … that's a different piece of fruit cake. The play list must be ready by the first of December. Event organizers are making their plans, lining up entertainment for their holiday parties and programs … all of which will happen prior to December 25.

So, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Time to dust off the holiday repertoire. Maybe add a tune or two. Work out some new arrangements for students. 'tis the season!

Just wondering … Are you playing holiday music? What new tune(s) will you add this year? In your experience, what do you find to be the most requested holiday tune?

No comments:

Post a Comment